I’ve definitely written about these delicious cookies in the past but I felt like I had to re-inform the world about them. If you’re ever in Bakersfield, go to Smith’s Bakery and get happy face cookies and thumbprints. They also have chocolate thumbprints for the chocolate-inclined.
If you’re a fan of pink champagne cake, theirs it to-die-for.
Their frosting is unlike any other- the recipe is super secret. It’s thick but still soft and sweet but not too sweet. You’ll have to taste it to believe it!
Proscuitto Wrapped Dates. So easy to make and so delicious! Recipe below.
pack of proscuitto
almonds (or other nut if you prefer)
1. Remove the pits from the dates and replace with an almond, close up neatly.
2. Cut proscuitto into thin date – width slices.
3. Wrap proscuitto around each date
4. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, until proscuitto is crispy
Don’t eat them all in one sitting!
One of my favorite restaurants in LA, Chaya has the BEST Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding. I found a recipe here and it turned out pretty delicious!! It’s ridiculously easy to make. It’s even better the next day if you put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Unsalted butter for the baking dish
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 croissants, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into chunks
- Heat oven to 375° F. Butter an 8-inch square or other shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg. Add the croissants and chocolate and mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I find it difficult and slightly impossible to shop for some people in my family. What do you buy for someone that has everything?! Especially for the ones that aren’t materialistic?
I found some cute stuff online (pinterest, fab.com, williams-sonoma, uncommongoods.com)
Cooking is always a great gift, especially during the holidays when there’s soooo much more food allowed than normal. I love to bake and these reindeer cookies are just adorable.
The herb wreath from Williams-Sonoma is both beautiful and useful. It’s made from bay leaf, sage, rosemary and oregano! The pet pillows from fab.com (they have cats too!) for pet lovers. I loved the f-bomb paperweight- something that most people would LOVE but don’t have!
What do you buy for your impossible-to-shop-for friends and family?