I know, I’m late. I attended the presidential inauguration and took some lovely pics of DC while I was there. It was a brisk 20 degrees on my last day so I couldn’t wait to get back to LA!
I had the pleasure of visiting DC for the Inauguration last month and had an incredibly tasty meal at Farmers Fishers Bakers.
They had a great cocktail menu and even give the option of letting the bartender concoct a drink for you. I had the Bourbon Julep and it was refreshing and strong. The Mixologist Jon Arroyo is an LA Native.
On the top right was a crab cake sandwich that was amazingly fresh and delicious. All of their sushi dishes had their own little spin to them. We had Citrus Salmon (Blood Oranges, Pomegranate Creme Fraiche, Orange Oil, Ponzu Sauce); Red Curry Scallops (Fennel fronds, Cucumber, Asparagus), Salmon Crudo (Tomatoes, Basil, Sundried Tomato, Ponzu Sauce); Big Eye Tuna (French Feta, Gold Beets, Endive, Balsamic Glaze, Ponzu Sauce).
For dessert we had Uncle Bucks Beignets with Bourbon Caramel Sauce. That sauce is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.
We also had the Butternut Cake with Salted Bourbon Caramel Ice Cream. The thought of it just makes me drool all over my keyboard.
Good. Bye. 2012. You were mean.
But honestly it was a rough year for me, as one could imagine after being unemployed for first half of the year. I’m really happy where I am now but the getting here was rough! Everyone keeps saying 2013 is going to be their year (the same people that say it every year…) and that’s great and all but I want to set new goals for myself to make that statement.
1. Be honest with myself about what I want in life. I get side tracked from being so busy that I forget what I want! Or I just don’t spend enough me-time thinking about my goals. Time to get on that starting NOW!
2. Update this blog more often. I tend to delve into work each week and forget to update. But I love to when I do have the chance so I want to set aside at least 3 mornings a week where I will post something.
3. Start and finish projects, including making my apartment a home (it’s almost there with a couple more pieces of furniture!) and painting my bedroom walls. I also want to start sewing again! My sewing machine is dusty!
4. Travel, travel, travel. I love it and don’t do it enough. Even a little trip to San Diego or San Francisco is in order. I’m going to Vegas in a couple weekends but that’s a total different monster. I’m thinking a week in Spain is in order as well, perhaps for my birthday in the fall?
5. Be better with money. I am seriously bad with $$. I spend it all on fancy meals and wonder where it all went!
6. Bring my lunch to work at least 3 times a week. $10 a day on lunch x 5 days a week x 4 weeks is $200! If I bring my lunch 3x a week I’d save $80+ monthly. That’s a new pair of shoes, a few old-fashioneds, a flea-market furniture find!
7. Work out more. I went on a lovely hike to Fryman Canyon yesterday and it was BEAUTIFUL. Super easy hike and lots of shade. I also want to go to Bar Method or Pop Physique at least 4x a week. I have a running pilates session weekly and I wish I had more time to do more! Also thinking about joining a new gym– one where someone will come and drag me out of bed in the morning. That exists, right?
I think these goals are achievable in the next 364 days. Let’s get to it!
Fresh off the skype/google hangout with my bff Heidi who lives in London and we were discussing 2013 travel plans. Some ideas that came into mind included Ireland/Scotland (Whisk(e)y please!), Istanbul, Spain (“let’s rent an apartment in Spain for a week!”), Germany, and so many others. Perhaps a trip to Barcelona for Sonar or stay in London for Field Day Festival? The world is our oyster.
As far as domestic trips, I am hoping for long overdue trip to NYC in February. My friend is working during fashion week and I would love to tag along, especially since my cousin is in NYC and brother is in DC. I haven’t been to New York since I went (by myself!) four and a half years ago! I didn’t even get to do everything on my list: Zabars, Dumbo, various choclotiers, restaurants, museums! Perhaps a trip to the gorgeous Bowery Hotel? Brunch at the Palace a la Gossip Girl? On another note, I am SO SAD Gossip Girl is over. It’s depressing whenever a show I watch ends! I don’t have cable so I usually just buy it on iTunes and wake up at 6 AM the morning after it airs to watch it. Though someone on FB did ruin GG for me. Really people? Why would your status update be a spoiler for he end of an entire series? Delete!
Last but not least, Coachella is coming up soon! One more payment and I have my passes for not one, but two weekends! How will I ever have the money to go to Europe this summer?! Time to go play the lottery!