Shibumi is a kappo-style restaurant in Downtown Los Angeles. After seeing it on an infinite number of best of and must try lists, I was very much looking forward to this meal. My brother was in town for the holidays and I took him here for dinner. We ordered:
- Lotus, Sweet Potato, Young Burdock Chips
- Japanese Sea-Bream Sashimi, Ginger Bud, Pickled Plum-Irizake
- Iwagaki Oyster, Fresh Yuzu, Shiso Flower & Mountain Caviar
- Broiled Sanma Skinny Mackerel, Black Vinegar
- Grilled Heritage Pork In Koji, Pickled Daikon, Leek
- Steamed Rice (with accompaniments)
- Koji (R)ice Cream, Apple & Fermented Apple
The chips were interesting, I’ve never had young burdock (nor did I know what it was til I googled it). The sashimi and oyster was pretty standard, but the seafood seemed like good quality. I wish more flavors came through. The mackerel was bit overcooked. My favorite was the Koji (R)ice cream, because it was different and not too sweet. I also had a good drink – French Cider En Flute, Calvados Back so I appreciated that as well.
All in all, I was disappointed. The service was decent, but one of the servers was so soft spoken I just said no thank you to everything he said. If only I had the same experience as Jonathan Gold. I probably won’t be back, if anything for maybe a cocktail while on my way to another dining experience.